Inspection of Lightning protection inspection for compliance with standards
Significant changes have recently taken place in relation to lightning protection inspection. Planning, establishment and inspections were previously performed on the basis of set of standards MSZ 274. However, after 2010, a new concept was developed for lightning protection in accordance with the requirements of set of standards MSZ EN 62305. However, inspection must be performed in accordance with the requirements effective at the time of establishment.
The current qualification system involves double training in relation to both lightning protection design and inspection. The special and examination requirements for the Lighting protection inspectors (as of 21.11.2012) can be downloaded on the website (www.nive.hu) of the Qualification and Adult Training Directorate of the National Labour Office. The following extract has been made from this document.
Brief description of the work of the Lightning protection inspector:
Visual control and instrumental testing of the designs of the external and internal lightning protection devices of buildings and constructions for compliance with the standards and documentation, their proper technical conditions, and documentation of the control results.
The tasks of the Lightning protection inspector, purpose of the Lightning protection inspection:
- Inspection of external and internal lightning protection devices that were established on the basis of legislation adopted before 2010 or set of standards MSZ 274
- Inspection and use of the available documentation in the inspection (classification into fire hazard categories, architectural drawings of the buildings, lightning protection plan documentation, qualification documents made on the inspection of contact protection and heavy-current devices for their compliance with standards, lighting protection inspection reports)
- Comparison of the existing documentation with the effective condition, control the lightning protection classifications of buildings and constructions, with a special regard to changes
- Comparison of the necessary grading of the lightning protection device (lightning rod, discharge rod, arrester, dimension) to the design one
- Checking if the existing lighting protection device complies with the values required for the necessary grading
- Checking for compliance with other technical requirements (internal lightning protection, fastening, interconnection and technical conditions of conductors)
- Checking of protection against lightning pulses for availability and coordination
- Making of inspection reports
- Inspection of external and internal lightning protection devices that were established on the basis of legislation adopted after 2010 or a Hungarian technical normative
- Inspection and documentation of the hidden parts of the lighting protection devices in the case of new facilities
- Inspection and use of the available documentation in the inspection (lightning density, classification into fire hazard categories, architectural drawings of buildings, layout plans of the building with the connecting metal networks, lightning protection construction and implementation plan documentation, qualification documents made on the inspection of contact protection and heavy-current devices for their compliance with standards, lightning protection inspection reports, shielding measurement reports, lighting protection system maintenance log)
- Comparison of the existing documentation to the effective condition, with a special regard to any (external and internal) changes of environment establishment and use parameters specified in the construction plan
- Megállapítani az épületek, építmények megvalósult villámvédelmi rendszerének osztályát és a villámvédelmi szintjét (LPL, LPS)
- Determination of the categories and lightning levels (LPL, LPS) of the lightning protection systems of the buildings and constructions
- Determination of the category (LPMS) of the protection system against lightning electromagnetic pulses in the buildings and constructions
- Inspection of the input parameters of the risk assessment and of the internal zones for their unchanged conditions, checking if the assessed risks comply with the requirements set in the legislation
- Checking of the necessary category of the lightning protection device (lightning rod, discharge rod, arrester, dimension, compensation of potential)
- Checking if the existing lightning protection system (LPS) complies with the values required for the necessary lightning protection category (material, geometry)
- Checking if the existing protection system against the electromagnetic pulse of lightning (LPMS) complies with the requirements set for the necessary lightning protection category (compensation of potential, protection devices, coordination, shielding)
- Checking of the whole lightning protection system (LPS and LPMS) for its technical condition (stability, strength, surface protection, connections, corrosion, connection of shielding, continuity of shielding shells, internal lightning protection, fastening, connection of conductors, operability of protection devices)
- Checking of the grounding for compliance by means of earth resistance measurement
- Checking of protection against step and contact voltages
- Measurement of the specific resistance of the soil if necessary
- Rejection of the task if the input documentation of lightning protection established in accordance with the norms is missing, or making of a Qualification document
The inspection is required in Regulation 28/2011 (6th September) BM on the National Fire Prevention Rules. Based on Paragraph 226(1) of the fire prevention requirements of lightning protection devices complying with the norms: “The followings must be performed on the lightning protection device: a) partial inspection of the parts to be subsequently hidden during the establishment, b) the first inspection before handing over after the establishment, c) periodic inspections at the intervals required in the legislation, d) any extraordinary inspection after a special event given in the relevant technical requirement. Based on Paragraph 228(1) on the periodic inspection of existing lightning protection devices not complying with the norms: The period inspections of the existing lightning protection devices not complying with the norms must be performed in accordance with the technical requirements valid at establishment.
In accordance with Paragraph 226(2) of Chapter XIV of Part 3 of Regulation 28/2011 (6th September), the inspection can be performed by a person who: „is qualified as a periodic inspector of lightning protection and has been taken in a lightning protection course agreed with MEE and OKF and accredited at MMK in the relevant technical material, and has passed an exam, or has obtained OJK qualification in relation to the relevant technical requirement.” The qualification of a lighting protection inspector ID OKJ 33 522 04 0001 33 10 is double in accordance with its special requirement module, it covers 6315-11 Lightning protection inspections of buildings and constructions (built before 2010) and 6316 Complex lightning protection inspection (after 2010 according to a norm).